Friday, May 14, 2010

Sketch Blogs

From surfing other blogger sites and people's submissions for Illustration Friday, I've come across a lot of blogs devoted to sketches from artists of all ages and skill levels. Some pro artists blow you away with top quality stuff and a few sketches. But in general, there are two kinds of entries in sketch blogs.......

=========================================================================
The Great Artist Who Is Ashamed of Their "Crappy" Art

Hi all, I finished my algebra assignment early and had five minutes left in class so I just made this quick doodle! I know, I know, it sucks, LOL, God's knee looks all retarded and some of the angels are just stupid LOL! I should throw this stupid drawing in the trash but I decided it would be funny to put my terrible picture up on my blog so everyone can laugh at how crappy it is LOL!!!!

=========================================================================
The Crappy Artist Who is Very Proud of His Actually Crappy Art
It took a long time, but it was worth it to finally finish my masterpiece "Sir Chaos Conquers Blortho The Dragon King"!!! I redid the fire like 20 times but finally it came out great, I feel like I will get burned if I touch the monitor! For the background, I tried to keep it simple, but I think the 4 realistic rocks and the bird (based on a photo I took of a robin, but I made him green) is enough, any more and it would detract from the main battle. Then, it still didn't seem quite perfect, until I had the idea for LENS FLARES that took it to a whole new level of awesomeness!

Maybe a third category for people where 90% of the entries feature their cat or dog, but they might be either great or mediocre artists as well. I am definitely in the second category, I got the idea for this when I was scanning through someone's blog, where every day they do a "lunchtime doodle" of incredibly creative and realistic monsters that I would have trouble even tracing right.

10 comments:

Dudel said...

I think I'm number two as well... especially since I abuse paint and love it! XD

Actually if you remove the lends flare from number two and take away the "I'm so awesome" the piece has a nice charm to it.

bagalagalaga said...

I try to make it at least entertaining even if the drawing isn't very polished - if I tried to make it look like some of the sketches I see, I could only do one post a season or so.

bagalagalaga said...

Looking at it again gives me a great craving to go watch Trogdor The Burninator!

Trogdor from Homestar Runner

That site is beautiful.

Dudel said...

Trogdor!

That's funny!

I only draw when I'm bored while having mediocre "skills" at best... hence fitting into number two.

josh pincus is crying said...

I haven't drawn my cat yet, but I'm not sure which category I fit into.

bagalagalaga said...

Well Josh seems to be able to draw recognizable human beings, but you don't insist that they suck, and no cats, so I guess you've ruined my whole post by being some other category.

MrBibleHead said...

My cat and my dog have both made special appearances. They make me laugh so I try to make others laugh with me. Sometines it's crap.. sometimes it's crappy and sometimes it's crapola. ;O)

bagalagalaga said...

Well Jack, that's ok - just don't let it slide to the level of craptacular or crappitty crap crap.

Alf said...

Fuck No. 2, No. 1 is alot better than anything I could have drawn in 5 minutes. Be proud of your skills

Unknown said...

hope you got better at math