Friday, June 11, 2010

Killing Time on the Internet

Let's face it - visiting this blog will not help make you a productive member of society. Knowing this, your only options are to kneel in your closet while giving yourself 200 lashes and begging for forgiveness, or to accept the fact and kill even more precious time reading about MY favorite sites to spend time on. These are the places that get at least weekly visits from me. Now that I don't have cable, I rely on these places to burn my brain to a well-entertained lump of mush.


The Onion - Fake news at its best, be it politics, science, or sports. Some of my favorite content.

Sports Pickle  - Fake SPORTS news at its best. Well, not always the best, they do resort to just calling players and coaches fat or throwing around the term douchebag sometimes. But usually it's pretty funny.

deviantART - Thousands and thousands of people post their art, including stories, poetry, flash animation, photos, or sketches scribbled on notebook paper during class. Besides posting stuffs and looking at the intricate statistics of my stuff there (I've posted 33% of my deviations on Sunday!), my favorite activities are digging through the comics, watching funny animation, and searching for "cosplay" and just letting the laughs roll in.

Facebook apps: Seeing what your cousin in Georgia had for dinner is only half the fun! I really like the beerseek application. It helps me remember which beers lured me in with awesome names and bottles, and wound up tasting like piss. Also useful for German beers - did I like Weishepstenrennerstugen, or was it Weishepstenbrellerstugen? So far I've rated 218, making me one of the most raging alcoholics in my network! I haven't tried one yet that I couldn't find on here.
Visual Bookshelf is good for keeping track of books, it has got pretty much everything there and ready to rate and comment on.
Crazy Planets is a very fun version of the classic "aim your bazooka at the right angle and shoot guys" game. It is helpful to have friends that actively play and have good weapons, otherwise it is much harder. Still fun to play once in a while.

Solve Unamusement - A blog by a guy who's goal is to, well, solve your unamusement by making you amused. I often stop by to see the (almost) daily doses of amusement ranging from beloved childhood cartoons to video game reviews and a lot more, usually with some links or youtube clips to go with it. Incidentally, this site led to my addiction to deviantArt and a well-spent afternoon rating the Most Awesomest Thing Ever.

Down Goes Brown - This guy blogs about the Toronto Maple Leafs. Normally, that would just be extremely pathetic, either bitching about or optimistically complimenting last night's loss. But this guy is very funny, willing to take many many shots at his beloved Leafs, and mixes in stuff that's relevant to all NHL fans. I found this site via a link from a much less amusing NHL blog, and now I'm placing it on my blog, which I guess is even crappier if you're hoping for NHL blogs.

Use your new found knowledge wisely.

5 comments:

Dudel said...

Wooo plug!

I've started posting every 2 - 3 days now. Sometimes waiting a week. Its random how/when I post now. Oh well! XD

bagalagalaga said...

That's still pretty good, that's all I can manage - I'm supposed to spend a lot more time writing boring stuff, like what happens when SO2 and ozone react with hematite.

bagalagalaga said...

Also, I wouldn't count on this plug doubling your blog's traffic or anything....I think the only visitors I get are when I comment on someone else's or post an Illustration Friday or Monday Artday picture.

bagalagalaga said...

I just added the "Blogs I Follow" widget too, that will be easier to for people to see all the time. I just went and deleted about half the blogs in my list since they were obviously dead. The exception is "Terrible Yellow Eyes", which is a collection of awesome interpretations of Where the Wild Things Are - it won't be updated any more but it's worth seeing. Mark Molnar's blog is one I could have mentioned in this post, I do check that one out pretty often. It's also the one that I talked about earlier as having things called "lunchtime doodles" that are 1000 times better than what I could draw if I concentrated on it for a week.

Dudel said...

Well yeah, I didn't expect more traffic.

Actually I saw this post had 4 comments and went bug eyed for a moment... then all was well when it was just you. XD (Four comments is a lot for either of us)

I do my own blog roll posts every so often but it is HIGHLY doubtful people check the actual blog roll. Unless they have nothing to do and insist on blog roaming.