Saturday, April 10, 2010

Why do bad video games happen to good people?

A conversation about old NES games got me nostalgic enough to fire up my trusty emulator, NESticle. Unfortunately, instead of enjoying old classics like Kirby's Adventure or Double Dragon II, I thought "now that I'm older and wiser, I wonder if Dragon's Lair is any easier?"

It's still impossible. I tried downloading windows media encoder so I could capture video of me playing the ROM, I thought it would be funny to show how many things can kill you on the very first screen, but my review would be pretty damn short since I can only make it about 4 SCREEN LENGTHS into this platform game...plus I couldn't get it to work.

The main problem was that Dragon's Lair in the arcade was popular because it had amazing animation by guru Don Bluth (Secret of NIMH, American Tail, Land Before Time). That fails miserably on an 8-bit system. On games like Mario, you can make him duck in one frame, almost as soon as you hit the button. In Dragon's Lair, the hero Dirk takes 5 or 6 frames to slowly get on his knees once you hit down. The same problem occurs for attacking, jumping, and even turning around, meaning that even though the enemies are slow as shit, you just CANNOT respond in time to do anything unless you memorize it.

Luckily for me, there is already a pretty funny youtube video of some guy bitching about this game.


3 comments:

Dudel said...

UGH THIS GAME!

I've played it on three different systems and each time have NOT made it past that very first intro level. I didn't even know the game had more than that scene with the dragon and the castle gate.

bagalagalaga said...

It is pretty pathetic when it takes over 20 lives to actually see the second screen....when the dragon pops up, the obvious things to do are:
1) jump over it and just try and walk through the gate. You die if you touch the closed gate.
2) Jump over him and kill the dragon from behind, but when you crouch to throw knives, he goes back in the water. Now if you try and jump back to the other side to hit him you are screwed.
3) Just crouch down and throw a knife at it when he first pops up. You do not have room to accomplish the crouch because there is a hidden gap in the bridge. You try to crouch a few times, and the dragon kills you.

The second you see that bastard, you have to hop like hell back to the edge of the screen and start ducking before his slow as hell fireball nails you. That goes against all video game logic and is just not fun.

Dudel said...

Infuriating!

I tried one, two and three a few times. Thinking I was just "messing things up".

That game is so dumb. X|


Oh and if you missed it, I use NEStopia for my NES emulating.